Rajaram runs an e-bike showroom on the main road in Kunrathur, Chennai. Customers from the surrounding areas of Porur have purchased e-bikes at this S2 Dhruvan Motors in Porur, Chennai showroom. In this case, the bike buyers have given the bikes for service.
At this point the battery of the bike that was being charged in this showroom exploded and caught fire. Seeing this, the staff screamed and ran out of the shop. But by then the fire had spread like wildfire.
Of these, 5 were new e-bikes, and a total of 17 bikes were damaged, including 12 bikes that came in for service. Items in the showroom also caught fire and were damaged.
Upon learning of this, the Virukambakkam Fire Department arrived at the scene and fought for an hour to extinguish the fire. About 8 lakh worth of goods were burnt and damaged in the fire.
Porur police have registered a case and are investigating. The fire caused a stir in the area for some time. Recent incidents of battery-powered e-bikes catching fire have caused panic among consumers.
Sales of electric vehicles continue to rise. With petrol and diesel prices skyrocketing, electric vehicles are becoming popular among the people as they are seen as a good alternative.
But, in recent times, due to the occasional incidents of electric scooters catching fire, the fear regarding electric scooters has also increased among the people at present.