Iran: State media reported that rescue teams on Thursday recovered five more bodies from a building collapse in southwestern Iran, raising the death toll from the disaster this week to 19.
It is not yet known what he will do after leaving office. Emergency personnel have so far rescued 37 people.
The devastating collapse has raised questions about the safety of similar buildings in the country and underscores the current crisis that has seen other disasters in this country that could be affected by earthquakes in Iranian construction projects. Authorities arrested the city’s mayor and several other suspects in an extensive investigation.
Sadek Galilean, governor of the southwestern province of Khuzestan, said the Metropol building collapsed during construction “due to neglect of technical standards”.
Officials, in particular, said it was legally allowed to be a six-story tower, but that four sites were added during construction.
Critics have also drawn attention to corruption in the building permit process. Iraq’s protracted war against Iran decimated the fighting in and around Abadan in the 1980s.
Over the years, fast-paced private and government-linked construction projects have rebuilt the area, amid complaints about poor construction practices.
“The collapse of the metropol is nothing more than a sign of growing organizational corruption,” said Hassan Mohaddesi, professor of sociology at Azad University in Tehran.
The demolition was a reminder to many that in 2017 a fire and collapse at the iconic Plasco building in Tehran killed 26 people.